Interested in Adopting a Pet?
The Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue can help you find the perfect animal for your family. Each year we find new homes for hundreds of cats and dogs. We work hard to ensure good matches and are happy to tell you everything we know about the animals we shelter. We keep no secrets.
The animals that come into our care deserve a second chance at a new beginning. By adopting from the Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue you are helping to ensure these animals have the happy life they deserve.
How does the adoption process work?
- Potential adopters must fill in our Pet Adoption Application, which you will find in a link below.
- Applications must be approved (applying does not guarantee approval) and approval is based on the best interest of the animals. The SPCA Animal Rescue reserves the right to refuse any application we think is not in the animal’s best interest.
- The process is the same for everyone.
What do we expect from people who wish to adopt?
- We want the relationship between you and your new companion to be a long and happy one. Please ensure you are willing to commit to the animal for his/her natural life. As you fill out this Pet Adoption Application, please think about the long-term responsibilities of owning a pet.
- In order to be considered for an adoption you must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid identification with a current address.
- Our animals cannot be adopted as a gift for someone else or for breeding purposes.
- All animals in your home must be spayed or neutered in order to be considered for an adoption.
- All other dogs in your household must be licensed in order to adopt from the Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue.
How long does it take to adopt a pet from the Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue?
- In most instances a cat can be taken home the same day if the application is approved. It will take longer if you rent your home because you need to ask your landlord to sign our Landlord Consent Form.
- A dog adoption is a longer process. It is designed to choose an adopter based on the best interests of the dog.
- Dog adoptions require a minimum of three visits observed by an Animal Attendant or the Shelter Manager.
- The first visit is limited to the adults who will be the primary caregivers in the family.
- The second and third visits include children, the family dog, and other dogs the adopted dog will spend a lot of time with.
- If approved, you will be contacted.
What is the adoption fee and what does it include?
- The adoption fee for an adult dog is $195; for puppies or small dogs, it is $250. The adoption fee for adult cats is $140 for kittens, it is $160.
- The adoption fee includes one complimentary veterinarian visit, vaccines, spay/neuter (if the animal is old enough), de-worming, flea treatment, microchipping, and a Royal Canin Adoption Kit, which includes a food sample and coupons.
What happens when you get to take your pet home?
- All animals adopted from the Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue must be transported home in a safe manner. All dogs must have a proper fitting collar and be on a leash. All cats must be transported in a carrier.
- It will take some time for your new companion to adjust to a new home. The adjustment period can be two weeks for a cat or several months to a year for a dog. It is very important you give your adopted companion the time to adjust to your environment and to go through the training process.
Click here to fill out your Pet Adoption Application.