Have You Lost Your Pet?
Losing a pet is traumatic for the whole family. We can help! Call us as soon as you can at 642-0920 ext. 1 or submit a Lost Cat Report or Lost Dog Report online. This report helps us identify your lost pet if it is brought into our shelter.
Here are other steps you can follow to bring your pet home safely:
- Look around your neighbourhood right away. Check with neighbours, the mail carrier and children playing in the area. Ask neighbours to check their garage, under their deck, shed and greenhouse, etc.
- Visit the shelter as soon as you can. You can identify your pet quicker than we can do it based on a description.
- Call vet clinics in your area to ask if your animal has been brought in injured or sick.
- Check Lost and Found sites on the Internet. Found pets are often listed on sites such as Kijiji, so be sure to check them often.
- Place an ad in the Lost and Found section of your local newspaper.
- Create a poster with a photo and description of your pet. Put the poster up around your neighbourhood and deliver it door to door.
- Contact other animal rescue organizations in the area.
You can reduce the likelihood of your pet becoming lost by:
- Making sure your pet wears a collar and an identification tag even if he or she lives indoors.
- Since collars and identification tags can be lost, the easiest way to make sure your pet can be identified quickly and easily is with microchipping. Microchipping can provide permanent identification that cannot fall off, be removed, or become impossible to read. Contact your local veterinarian clinics for this valuable lifesaving tool.
Have You Found a Pet?
- If you find a stray cat, please call the shelter at 642-0920 ext. 1 to see if we have room that day. While we will not pick up healthy cats, we will pick up cats that are diseased or injured.
- If you find a stray dog in Saint John, please call Saint John Animal Control at 633.1228.
- If you find a stray dog in Rothesay, call Rothesay Town Hall at 848.6600.
- If you find a stray dog in Quispamsis, call Quispamsis Town Hall at 849.5778.
- If you find a stray dog in Grand Bay-Westfield, call the Dog Control Officer at 653.1958.