Animal Care Attendant – part-time
Location: Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue, 295 Bayside Drive, Saint John NB http://www.spcaanimalrescue.com
Closing Date: February 10th, 2017
The Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue is seeking an experienced individual with animal care experience and knowledge of animal behavior and handling to provide assistance with all aspects of the shelter operations including general animal husbandry, customer service, and data management. This position is a continuing part-time position with a schedule requirement of 30-32 hours per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Distributes food to animals in established quantities in accordance with a schedule.
- Cleans and disinfects pens and cages; washes drinking and feeding bowls and other accessories.
- Cleans, brushes, washes, disinfects and shaves animals.
- Immediately informs supervisor of any apparent changes in the animals’ state of health; takes temperatures as necessary.
- Weighs animals and food.
- Receives, stores and delivers food and accessories necessary to the maintenance of animals.
- Assists in inventory of supplies, food, medical needs and equipment.
- Completes standard reports.
- Ensures cleanliness of work area
- Exercising the dogs and ensuring that they have adequate toys.
- Provide support with daily operations as animal handling, providing animal assessments, recommendations, and answering questions regarding animal care from staff, volunteers and community members.
- Union position
- Reports to : Lead-Head Supervisor
- Complete daily visual exams of animals and report findings to appropriate staff. Assist with behavior assessments and implementation of behavior modification plans. Identify breeds and ages of animals.
- Evaluate animals for adoptability, including a review of temperament, and gathering information from relinquishing owner. Promote pet adoption program.
- Clean and disinfect kennels, cages, corrals, medical exam areas and animal handling equipment. Perform minor kennel repairs and report kennel maintenance and repair needs.
- Receive bite reports and notify/dispatch Animal Control Officers. Assist with unloading animals. Transport animals to veterinarians or other adoption off site adoption locations.
- Maintain and update various records and information pertaining to animal care and treatment; research and review a variety of materials and compile data and reports.
- Hours: 30-32 hours per week; weekday, weekend, evening and holiday availability is required. On call shift is required so flexibility and available to work nights is a requirement
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience working with animals, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities. Animal shelter experience desired.
- Ability to multi-task in a busy animal shelter environment with exposure to a variety of domestic/wild animals with varying degrees of dander, fur and feathers; willingness to work with any animal species.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills including the ability to provide guidance, technical support and training to staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work cooperatively while utilizing excellent conflict resolution skills, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and computer skills to maintain accurate records, files and schedules.
- Requires a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Ability to push, pull, drag, lift or carry equipment/supplies (weighing up to 50 lbs.), and ability to lean, stoop, twist, bend, and kneel in the performance of job duties.
please email your resume with two work related references and cover letter to manager@